Research Library

The research library is located at 254 West Sixth Street, Marysville, Ohio next to the museum. The research library is open from late May to mid November on Wednesdays from 12:30 pm to 3:30pm. The research library is closed during the Winter.

The building was purchased by the Historical Society in 1989 under the leadership of President, Robert W. Parrott.  The house was built in 1901 by Dr. Charles D. Mills (1857-1935), who was a Marysville physician and active in many civic endeavors.  His son, Charles Jr., known as “Chid”, became president of the Scott Grass Seed Company.  His two daughters, Ferne and Mary, became educators.  Ferne Mills served as principal of Marysville High School from 1925 to 1951.

Archives, Histories & Paper Collection

The research library holds the archives, histories and paper, and newspaper collections of the Union County Historical Society.  This includes all county, township and town histories of Union County; church histories; school records; military histories, military rosters and related items; photograph collection; various lodge and civic organization documents; bound newspapers; film collection and many other historical documents and records.

Visit the Marysville Public Library & Union County Records Center & Archives

Those doing genealogical research should note that most of the records used for family research are at the Marysville Public Library which has daily hours, including evening and weekend hours. The largest collection of county newspapers are on microfilm at the library.  Additionally, genealogical researchers should contact the Union County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society for genealogical information.

Another source for historical and genealogical research is the Union County Records Center & Archives, located at 128 South Main Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040.  Most of the early records relating to county offices and departments are located at the Records Center & Archives starting in 1820 with the exception of property records, which are located in the Union County Recorder’s Office in the Union County Office Building and also starting in 1820.

Union County Historical Society Receives Civil War Relics

Left to Right: Drew Conley, Historical Society Curator, Helen Elbin, Samuel Elbin and Stephen Badenhop, Union County Records Manager & Archivist

The Union County Historical Society received several Civil War relics from Helen Elbin and her son, Samuel Elbin of West Jefferson, Ohio.  The items belonged to their ancestor, Christian M. Graham who was born in Paris Township in 1839 and enlisted in the Union Army in 1861.  Graham served from April 23, 1861, to February 20, 1865.  He was originally a drummer, but later was appointed as Chief Musician in the 46th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He took part in seventeen hard-fought battles including Shiloh, Vicksburg, Kennesaw Mountain and Atlanta.    Graham died in 1921 and is buried at Oakdale Cemetery.

The relics donated include a 34-star United States flag marked with Graham’s name and regiment, a fife used by Graham during the war, a lady’s perfume bottle “captured” by Graham when the Union Army marched into Atlanta in 1864 and discharge papers showing Graham’s military service during the war.

The Elbin family stated that they wanted to honor their ancestor by adding these keepsakes to the collection of the Union County Historical Society.  Stephen Badenhop, Union County Archivist said "the gift is especially fitting since it is the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War and the year that Christian Graham enlisted in that War."  Historical Society Curator, Drew Conley said "the items would be added to a new Civil War exhibit at the museum."  The display contains various artifacts including a bullet that was removed from future Scott Company founder, O.M. Scott, who was shot at the battle of Bentonville.  The bullet was donated by the family of the late Dr. Malcolm MacIvor.     The exhibit can be viewed at the museum.